Monday 11 June 2012

Time Elasticity

I managed to get to Epping Model Railway Club's exhibition at Thornleigh on Sunday afternoon. Others have already commented on the exhibition and I can only echo their positive comments. It was a great show and most the layouts were new to me.
 While there, I took the opportunity to purchase an Austrain's 36 class that was on special. Now I have a bit more weathering to complete and have been scouring my copy of 'Steam in the Sixties' for ideas. However, the purchase does present me with a slight quandary. I understand that the withdrawal of 36 class was completed by 1969 but Philip's Creek had been set in 1971. While I have been happy to develop an imaginary location, I have previously been reasonably pedantic about the time. I had pushed the envelope to the right a bit with a 1971 BCW and a KHG guards van both of which I purchased quite a few years ago. In contrast to other rolling stock, these two wagons are only lightly weathered reflecting their almost new status in 1971.
I began to consider that I may have been overly restrictive when discussing describing Philip's Creek to another railway modeller over dinner a few weeks ago and have been pondering it ever since. So now, I have to accept that Philip's Creek now covers a period from around 1966 to 1971 - not a great time span, but one over which there were some noticeable changes in the railways in NSW. My first thought is to ensure that each train that passes through Philip's Creek station is consistent with a particular time. For example, I don't anticipate that the 36 class will ever haul a train that includes the KHG or the 1971 BCW. Beyond that, I don't expect too many issues, but I will have to watch the motor vehicles that are present on the layout. Potentially there may also be a  few inconsistencies there.
I know this post has been a bit of 'navel gazing', but I am wondering if now, having  made this first compromise, it be the 'thin edge of the wedge'. Probably not, but only time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment