Saturday, 23 June 2012

Not Quite There

While we are always happy to display or talk about a great model that we have created, this is a post about one of those jobs that is just not quite right and not to the standard that one sets oneself.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was building a kit of an EHO passenger guards van and spoke about having to remove a coat of paint because it was more purple than indian red. That process went reasonably well and the replacement colour is satisfactory. I also 'tea bagged' the roof, again with fairly positive results. I chose not to add wire handrails which was probably  a bit of a shortcut but the ones that were cast into the body were reasonably prominent. Besides, wire handrails are not one of my strengths if one looks at my collection of S trucks, BCHs et al.

However, it is the chassis that has caused me to be less than satisfied with the results particularly after I came across photos of James McInerney's EHO (

I had constructed the guards van in accordance with the instructions although I noted that a large battery box shown on the plan in the July / August 1967 edition of AMRM mounted underneath the centre door in addition to the two boxes at one end was not included. The truss also looks too thick and the chassis sits a bit higher than it should.

So, I think it's back to the drawing board as far as the chassis is concerned. I think that I will cut off the plastic trusses and use them to shape wire replacements. That will test my soldering skills if I remember the construction of the HCX quite a few years ago. I'll probably add another battery box and see if the chassis can be lowered slightly.

Oh well, lesson learnt - more research before construction!

As an aside, I was intrigued to note the provision made for the movement of coffins in the van. It's something that I hadn't considered previously. However, now that I am aware of it, I have noted similar compartments in other types of passenger guards vans.

Monday, 11 June 2012

Time Elasticity

I managed to get to Epping Model Railway Club's exhibition at Thornleigh on Sunday afternoon. Others have already commented on the exhibition and I can only echo their positive comments. It was a great show and most the layouts were new to me.
 While there, I took the opportunity to purchase an Austrain's 36 class that was on special. Now I have a bit more weathering to complete and have been scouring my copy of 'Steam in the Sixties' for ideas. However, the purchase does present me with a slight quandary. I understand that the withdrawal of 36 class was completed by 1969 but Philip's Creek had been set in 1971. While I have been happy to develop an imaginary location, I have previously been reasonably pedantic about the time. I had pushed the envelope to the right a bit with a 1971 BCW and a KHG guards van both of which I purchased quite a few years ago. In contrast to other rolling stock, these two wagons are only lightly weathered reflecting their almost new status in 1971.
I began to consider that I may have been overly restrictive when discussing describing Philip's Creek to another railway modeller over dinner a few weeks ago and have been pondering it ever since. So now, I have to accept that Philip's Creek now covers a period from around 1966 to 1971 - not a great time span, but one over which there were some noticeable changes in the railways in NSW. My first thought is to ensure that each train that passes through Philip's Creek station is consistent with a particular time. For example, I don't anticipate that the 36 class will ever haul a train that includes the KHG or the 1971 BCW. Beyond that, I don't expect too many issues, but I will have to watch the motor vehicles that are present on the layout. Potentially there may also be a  few inconsistencies there.
I know this post has been a bit of 'navel gazing', but I am wondering if now, having  made this first compromise, it be the 'thin edge of the wedge'. Probably not, but only time will tell!

Thursday, 7 June 2012

Silo Progress

Work on the silo has progressed at a slow but steady pace. I thought that it was time to post a few photos of the receiving station which has come together over the past few weeks. I might add that since the photos were taken, the roof has also been fitted. However, again I have run out of CGI. Hopefully Anton will bring a good supply to Thornleigh this weekend.

The receiving station is the last of the major components to be fabricated. Once that element has been painted, I will start the the final assembly and detailing. As I have mentioned previously, although this is nominally a cardboard kit, the cardboard is being used more as a template than the final external surface. Styrene and model CGI are the primary building materials.

And yes, there are easier ways to get a silo!

The apparent sag on the left side has been corrected to some extent when the roof was fitted. However, I will also have to make a few further adjustments once the frame is fixed to the base.

The view from the other side showing most of the framing.